Lucky for me, I always plan ahead when travelling and my trip to Portland, Oregon for the International Food Blogger’s Confernce would not be any different. It’s always a challenge trying to decide how much luggage I need to bring and we all know you can’t spell luggage without
Subsequently, I alway choose my wardrobe very strategically knowing that I will inevitably be buying things that I will need to LUG home It is extremely important to keep in mind when attending conferences there will always be some swag (AKA, FREE STUFF) that I’ll need to cram in somewhere, somehow. And truthfully, it’s something I look forward to immensely. Does anyone NOT like free stuff?
I’m reminded of my trip to Sundance Film Festival 2010 where Daniel and I actually received an ENTIRE suitcase full of crazy, fantastic swag!
What I did know is that IFBC 2012 would be sponsored by OXO, Bob’s Red Mill , Hinode Rice, Wustof Knives , Ninja Cooking System and many more amazing vendors. Would I be getting a set of knives I wouldn’t be able to put in my carry on? Should I check in a big bag with lots of room or hope to have enough room in my carry on? Just how much FREE STUFF would I get to bring home with me? Ah, the unknown is so intriguing.
Little did I know that an entire hotel ballroom would be filled to the brim with amazing foodie paraphernalia for us to pick and choose as much as we could carry! As happy as I was that I chose the sponsor hotel, Doubletree Hilton Portland for its proximity, I was thrilled to know that it is the GREENEST hotel in Oregon. The bed was super comfy too!
So with my suitcase stuffed to the brim, I returned home to prepare my first dish In Miss Vicki’s Improvisational Kitchen. I was very eager to check out the 3 in 1 avocado slicer from OXO, which proved to be a fun and fantastic cooking tool. It was a huge asset in this simple and quick recipe.
As per my usual style, I threw this dish together with several generous sponsor’s ingredients. Thanks to all of them.
When you’re hungry for a healthy rice dish that goes with almost anything, give this a whirl.
- 1 Package Hinode Heat and Serve Brown Rice (use long cooking sprouted rice if you prefer, but this is the Fast and EZ version)
- 3/4 Cup Italian Popped Wheat *www.wheatspringsbakery.com
- 1 Tablespoon Oregon Salt *www.jacobsensalt.com
- 1 Bag Kale Chips *www.freshlywild.com
- 2-3 Ripe Avocados
- 1 onion, sliced into smallish pieces
- Drizzle Of Lemon Balsamic Glaze *www.belberry.com
- Cook Hinode rice in microwave* oven for 2 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the rice to cook, slice avocado with OXO slicer and cut onion into 1/2 pieces.
- Throw in a pinch of salt.
- Gently toss everything together.
- Drizzle with glaze and be sure to use a pretty plate!
Swag is like a box of chocolates, or might even be a box of chocolates.